Skip to content

Welcome to my blog!

September 18, 2011

Hi Everyone! My name is Allison Thomas and this is my first blog.  I am a Canadian lawyer living and working in Bogota, Colombia, through the Canadian Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Abroad Programme.  I am currently in the thick of my transition from corporate litigator to international lawyer.  I left my job as a corporate lawyer a little over a year ago to pursure my passion for social justice.  My first step into the world of international law was to pursue an LL.M. in international humanitarian and human rights law at the ADH Academy in Geneva, Switzerland.  After what was unexpectedly an extremely challenging year, I was offered this position through the Canadian Bar Association.  I am currently working as a lawyer with ONIC (Organizacion Nacional Indigena de Colombia), the national organization of indigenous persons of Colombia.  I provide counsel in the areas of human rights law and humanitarian law (the laws of armed conflict), specifically in relation to indigenous persons in Colombia.  I hope to chronicle these early adventures in international law here in this blog and plan to add some posts on various international law issues later on as well.

Am I living the dream? Here’s hoping! I hope you will follow my journey and decide for yourselves!

Advertisements
7 Comments leave one →
  1. alanna permalink
    October 26, 2011 6:30 am

So excited to be able to hear about your work via a blog! And in my opinion – you are living the dream!

2. sarah permalink
    October 26, 2011 4:08 pm

Allison I am so proud of you and excited to hear more from you on your blog. You are living the dream! Love you xoxo

3. Megan permalink
    October 26, 2011 5:21 pm

Good work – look forward to reading more!!

4. Louise Sinclair permalink
    October 26, 2011 5:40 pm

Hi Allison: Wow! So much for Bay Street! Hope your adventure is awesome and for heaven’s sake, be safe! Thanks for making a difference and being an inspiration to our kids.

• October 27, 2011 9:51 am

Thanks Louise, that is so sweet although I definitely do not feel I’m an inspiration yet! Hope you are all well, fill me in when you have a chance!

5. Elva permalink
    October 27, 2011 4:14 pm

Hi Allison, great you’ve finally started a blog, remember your parents are reading it, more sleepless nights. xo Mum

• October 27, 2011 4:55 pm

I know Mum, I was actually going to try and figure out how to ban Dad from reading the Bogota or Bust post to avoid giving him a heart attack but it was a month ago and I learned my lesson so thought you guys could handle it : )